Nominations Open for The Toy Foundation’s 2022 TOTY Awards
New Category Created for “Grown-Up Toy of the Year”
July 13, 2021 | Nominations for The Toy Foundation’s 2022 Toy of the Year (TOTY) Awards opened last week, and contenders are already vying to be recognized as the top toys, games, and properties of the year. The deadline to submit products for consideration is August 31.
The Awards program serves as the main annual fundraiser for The Toy Foundation, which through its philanthropic work and grant programs provides aid and the vital commodity of play to children and families under stress and in dire situations across the U.S.
Here’s what you need to know about the 2022 TOTY Awards:
- Nominations are open now through Tuesday, August 31.
- Toy companies, inventors, and other industry representatives may submit their products and properties for consideration across 16 TOTY categories via the nomination form.
- A new Grown-Up Toy of the Year category was created to recognize toys developed primarily for grown-ups/kidults. These toys are often fueled by fandoms, social media, and adult humor.
- A nomination committee comprised of play experts, journalists, academics, retailers, and other toy experts will determine the official TOTY 2022 finalists based on each product’s creativity and originality; design and quality; and play value. A toy’s marketing initiatives will no longer be a determining factor.
- Finalists will be revealed the first week of November, at which time voting will open to retailers, media, and Toy Association members through January. Consumers will also be invited to vote on ToyAwards.org.
- A winner for each category, as well as the “People’s Choice” award (based solely on consumer votes) and the prestigious overall “Toy of the Year” winner (chosen by a panel of experts), will be announced at the TOTY Awards ceremony on Friday, February 18, 2022.
The TOTY Awards celebrate the top toys and properties on the market and the induction of industry icons into the Toy Industry Hall of Fame.
“As the TOTY Awards program once again celebrates the creativity and passion of the toy community, we are excited to announce a new category to the awards program that emphasizes the industry’s commitment to bringing the joy of play to all ages,” said Adrienne Appell, senior vice president of marketing communications at The Toy Association. “We look forward to continuing our time-honored tradition of celebrating the products and playmakers that showcase the power of play being offered to today’s kids and kids at heart.”
For more information on the nomination and selection process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.